Pagan Federation International Pagan Federation International Forum Index Wiccan Rede Magazine

State Hermitage Museum :: Southern Siberia/Pazyryk

New topic   Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => People & Society

Previous :: Next  
Morgana Post number 25215 Posted: 7th December 2018     Subject: State Hermitage Museum :: Southern Siberia/Pazyryk
State Hermitage Museum :: Southern Siberia/Pazyryk

The selection here is artifacts from the early nomadic cultures of Southern Siberia. The focus is on the objects excavated beginning in the 1920s from the graves in the Pazyryk region of the Altai Mountains, where the frozen ground preserved remarkably organic material. These artifacts are well known in part from the translation into English of the first major book on the finds, by S. I. Rudenko, and in part due to their having been in various exhibitions around the world. In the annotation, I have now used the revised datings for the graves, based on C14 and dendrochonology, which are summarized in Table 1 of E. V. Stepanova, "Evoliutsiia konskogo snariazheniia i otnositel'naia khronologiia pamiatnikov Pazyrykskoi kul'tury" [Evolution of horse harnesses and relative chronology of the monuments of the Pazyryk culture], Arkheologicheskie vesti (St. Petersburg), No. 13 (2006): p. 104. On the whole these dates are younger than the original ones proposed by Rudenko, but as Stepanova points out, it is possible that they may be further revised.

Read on...
https://depts.washingto ... pazyryk.html

There are some amazing photographs - like this one:
Tattooed skin of right arm of man, showing various monsters.
Pazyryk barrow no. 2, 300-290 BCE.
Show:   
New topic    Reply to topic Pagan Federation International Forum Index => People & Society
Show YouTube films